Consultation, Advocacy, Referrals, Therapy
Transgender Services of Michigan, a service of Mt. Pleasant Counseling, is a gender therapy and coaching practice dedicated to serving the transgender population. We offer in-office consultation, coaching and therapy sessions, referrals, advocacy as well as online sessions using a web camera via Skype™ technology or FaceTime.
At Transgender Services, we help you determine if transitioning is an appropriate course of action and assist you through the various stages of the transition process from either male-to-female or female-to-male.
These are the benefits you can expect to receive while attending therapy and coaching sessions at Transgender Services:
- Clarity about the decision to pursue gender transition.
- Familiarity with the various types of transgenderism extending from crossdressing to transsexualism, with your place on the gender spectrum, and with your possible options.
- Knowledge about the various stages of the gender transition process.
- Self-awareness related to how your transgender identity fits within your individual identity.
- Referrals to physicians for hormones, electrologists and laser specialists for hair removal, speech therapists for voice feminization and masculinization and surgeons for facial feminization and sex reassignment surgeries, along with top surgery for female-to-male patients.
- Issuance of “carry letters.”
- Direction to hair stylists and make-up artists.
- Guidance in movement, voice and wardrobe.
- Recommendations for internet sites, films and books to further your personal gender exploration and transition.
- Coming-out guidance for friends and family, at school and on the job through letters, presentations, and one-on-one conversations.
- Screening and treatment for psychological and emotional issues that may co-occur with gender dysphoria.
- Sense of well-being, as the gender therapeutic process moves forward.
By moving steadily and conservatively through the steps listed above, you can expect to live comfortably within your gender identity.